This document provides step-by-step instructions on how to utilize your Active Directory Group Policy Management against Google Chrome templates, to deploy the Apty Client Browser extension to all PCs in your organization.
- Step 1: Downloading Chrome Policy Templates
- Step 2: Adding Chrome .admx and .adml files to Group Policy
- Step 3: Create or Configure your Chrome Policy
- Step 4: Check Your Chrome Policies
Step 1: Downloading Chrome Policy Templates
1. Download Chrome templates by visiting the link below:
2. Extract archive in the temporary location
Step 2: Adding Chrome .admx and .adml files to Group Policy
1. Navigate to the directory in which you extracted the Policy Templates and copy the chrome.admx file located at\policy-templates\windows\admx directory toC:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions
2. Navigate to the directory in which you extracted the Google Chrome Bundle and copy the chrome.adml file located within the policy-templates\windows\admx\en-USdirectory toC:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions\en-US
NOTE: If a different language is desired instead of en-US, please navigate to the directory for the correct language of your choosing. Ex: es-ES
Step 3: Create or Configure your Chrome Policy
1. Open the Group Policy Manager on your domain controller and expand out your domain -> Group Policy Objects. If you currently do not have a Group Policy created in which you want to utilize for Chrome Policies, proceed to right clicking on Group Policy Objects and create a New Policy.
2. Name the policy something relevant. Ex: “ChromePolicy”
3. Once created, right click the new policy and select Edit.
4. Expand out Chrome Policy > Computer Configuration > Policies -> Administrative Templates > Google Chrome > Extensions then right click and Edit the Configure the list of force-installed apps and extensions
5. Select the Enable radio button, and then click the Show button
6. Add the following text and click OK.
Application Key; https://apty-assist-production-s3.s3.amazonaws.com/production/25/update.xml
NOTE: Application Key will be provided to you by Customer Support Team
7. Click Apply, and then click OK
8. Next, right click the Configure extension installation whitelist and select Edit from the context menu
9. Select the Enabled radio button, and then click the Show button.
10. Add the Application Key and Click OK
11. Click Apply and then click OK
12. Exit the Group Policy Management Editor, Right Click the OU of your choice, in which contains your Computers or Users and select Link an Existing GPO.
13. Select the “Chrome Policy”(the one which is created now) and click OK
14. For any PC or User within that OU, the “Chrome Policy” will automatically install the Apty Client Browser Extension
Step 4: Check Your Chrome Policies
1. On a target client device, open Chrome Browser and navigate to chrome://policy to see all policies that are applied.
2. You can also check your extension by navigating to chrome://extensions and ensuring your extensions are being forcefully installed.
NOTE: You may need to run gpupdate/force, in an elevated command prompt, to apply this new group policy to the PCs.